Are you a sleeper or a chaser?
Choice is pretty awesome isn’t it?
We can choose to wake up how ever we want. Too many people wake up dreading the day ahead, hoping that it ends quickly and painlessly, and remind themselves that the weekend can’t get here fast enough. That’s not very fun now is it?
What if you woke up excited to help others, to working as teams to solve problems, to complimenting someone on a job well done. Seriously think about that for a second. Our jobs here are tremendously stressful, too much to do with too little time. And we tend to live in that negativity, it’s just human nature folks. Like my post earlier this week, it’s our fear of living outside of the day to day comfort zone. We all get stuck in ruts and some of us don’t have the tools to get out of them.
I’d like you to try this on Monday if you don’t already have a morning routine and need some tools to get started right.
Set your alarm for 30 minutes earlier. When the alarm goes off, sit up and take 10 deep and slow breaths. We breathe slower and shallower during sleep so our bodies are a bit oxygen deprived. Next, get your butt out of bed and fill up a huge glass of water then pound it. Our bodies get dehydrated overnight and we need a rush of water first thing in the morning. The H2O begins waking up all of our organs getting them primed for the day ahead. After that pick something physical you like to do whether that’s meditation, yoga, a walk around the block, or even some more intense exercise. Working out first thing in the morning gets the blood flowing, the oxygen flowing through the body, and the endorphins (happy stuff) rocking your brain. Lastly, eat a healthy breakfast people. Psst… Donuts are not a healthy breakfast
You’re like what the heck do you know about this Mike. Here’s a brief view into my morning every day of the week (for the past 5+ years):
- 4:30am – Alarm goes off and usually scares the bejeezus out of me. I’m not a snooze buttoner so I immediately sit up and start with the breathing.
- 4:35am – I go downstairs and chug one of those big Baja Fresh cups of water.
- 4:45am – My meditation is prepping all my food for the day, I know that’s kind of sick but hey… it’s what I do.
- 5:15am – Catch up with messages from my fitness stuff.
- 5:45am – My wife and I workout from home so we hit play, this one is non-negotiable. Gets everything flowing.
- 6:15am – Get ready for work.
- 6:45am – Eat breakfast (my health shake for the day)
- 7:00am – Leave for work.
Again, we all have the choice on how we wake up and attack the day. Make your choice a positive one.